Front Desk Assistant - Hill Hall
The Front Desk Assistant (FDA) position is a student staff position for the Office of Residence Life at SPU. As a member of the Office of Residence Life, FDAs report directly to an Office Assistant (OA)/ Front Desk Manager (FDM) and ultimately to a Residence Life Coordinator (RLC) or Area Coordinator (AC).
An FDA serves as the primary point of contact for residents and visitors in SPU’s residence halls. They support essential building functions by providing oversight to the administration of the front desk, fitness center(s), and general safety of the residential environment.
A Front Desk Assistant also plays an integral role in the cultivation of community within each residence hall by greeting residents and guests, supporting and promoting hall programs/events, and by maintaining positive working relationships with all building staff members.
Hours vary for the FDA Role, but generally FDAs work between 6 to 10 hours per week.
- Be in good standing with Seattle Pacific University and the Office of Residence Life.
- Current undergraduate student enrolled in at least 6 credits and familiarity with living area.
- Resides in living area with at least 9 credits (per housing eligibility)
- Applicants must not hold a current leadership position in Residence Life (i.e. - Hall Council or Resident Advisor)
- Applicants must be planning to live in the hall/area in which they are applying to work. (Hill)
- Sensitivity and open-minded attitude towards students of different racial, religious, gender, ethnic, ability, gender identity, and other backgrounds.
- Ability to work independently with little direct supervision, take initiative with other team members to work collaboratively and communicate proactively with the Office Assistant.
- Ability to work varied hours primarily evening and weekends. Must be available for Fall, Winter, and Spring quarters OR communicate any potential leaves of absence prior to beginning employment.
- Attend and participate actively in any training, meetings, or required reading materials.
- Provide the OA/FDM their schedule in advance and are expected to fulfill agreed upon hours.
- Work with other desk workers to ensure coverage for the front desk during open hours by providing optimal availability for ease of scheduling.
- Create a welcoming atmosphere for residents and visitors as they enter the hall by being courteous, outgoing, and obliging to all patrons.
- Exemplify positive academic behaviors, and help students to create an environment that is conducive to studying by monitoring lobby areas for noise and cleanliness.
- Responsible for maintaining confidentiality of student information.
- Utilize resources available to answer questions residents or visitors might have, and refer as needed.
- Be aware of your surroundings and report any suspicious behavior or activity to the RA On-Call or OSS.
- Maintain the front desk lobby and REX’s aesthetic value and report any maintenance or cleaning issues.
- Understand the REX guidelines that residents are asked to abide by and enforce them as necessary (see Front Desk Manual for detailed rules/guidelines)
- Complete special projects or tasks as assigned by RLC/AC or Office Assistant
A Successful Front Desk Assistant will be selected based upon their ability to:
- Work with diverse populations,
- Effectively refer emergency situations,
- Complete administrative tasks promptly,
- Handle peer supervision with maturity,
- Work both autonomously and synergistically, and
- Positively contribute to the overall living and learning community.
*We hire with the intention that the FDA will maintain this position for the entirety of the 2020 – 2021 academic year (September – June).*
**Failure to meet minimum requirements of this position may result in termination of employment.**
***If Apply for this position, you MUST LIVE IN HILL HALL in order to be hired and keep this position.***