Customer Service Associate - State Work Study
The Customer Service Associate contributes to the Mercer Island Thrift Shop’s success by providing excellent customer service to thrift shop patrons and donors.
Pay rate: $16.00-$17.00 per hour
The Mercer Island Thrift Shop is a nonprofit business that values a culture of community involvement, solid employee development, and reducing our community footprint on the planet through resale; the best form of recycling. As a bustling group of 65 volunteers, management team, and work study students, we are proud that we provide the major source of funding for Mercer Island Youth & Family Services (MIYFS). If you’re looking for a positive place to learn and grow, this position is a great foot in the door to a nonprofit mission that touches every generation in our community. You can learn more about the thrift shop and MIYFS at www.mercerislandthrift.org/about .
(State Work Study award is required)
Essential Job Functions
- Sell thrift shop products and represent promotions.
- Maintain visual standards and cleanliness of the store.
- Stock products onto the sales floor and rotate merchandise.
- Cashiering and handling telephone calls and paging in a professional manner.
- Provide information to donors on acceptable donations according to the stores best practice guidelines.
- Communicate and cooperate with staff, volunteers, and the management team.
- Model and act in accordance with the City of Mercer Island’s mission, vision and values.
- Assist with other projects as assigned.
- Must have regular and predictable attendance to fulfill the essential functions of the job.
- Must be available for weekend shifts.
This position provides great experience working in the retail side of a nonprofit organization with a diverse volunteer work force, including people with disabilities. Especially beneficial for students who are studying business, marketing, management, entrepreneurship, and social enterprise.
Work study students can increase their hourly rate 1-4% every 400-500 hours worked through continuous skills growth, performance improvement, and goal setting.